Own and operate a business in the United States. The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa allows the national of an E-2 Treaty Country to move to the United States with their spouse and dependent children for the purpose of investing in and directing a business they own. You can start up a new business or acquire an existing business/franchise. However, it is vital to discuss the business plan with an immigration attorney before proceeding.

The E-2 Visa offers many advantages, including:

  • Relatively low investment expectations (usually > $100,000)
  • Ability to travel freely to and from the United States
  • Unlimited renewals, potentially for the rest of an applicant’s life
  • Ability for a spouse to work in the US
  • Option to purchase a businesses or business franchise
  • Quick processing times
  • Potential tax benefits over permanent residents
  • Ability to transition to a Green Card at a later stage
Return to Menu Contact Us


Only citizens of certain countries are eligible for E-2 Visas. Check the list below to see if you are from an eligible country.

If you are not from an eligible country, please contact us. Davies & Associates has helped people from non-E2 Treaty Countries obtain E-2 Visas through third country citizenship. Find out more

  • Albania
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina
  • Bulgaria
  • . . .
  • Cameroon
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Czechia
  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Denmark
  • Egypt
  • Estonia
  • Ethiopia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Grenada
  • Honduras
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kosovo
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Latvia
  • Liberia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia
  • Mexico
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Philippines
  • Poland
  • Republic of Congo
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Senegal
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sri Lanka
  • Suriname
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • United Kingdom
  • Read more
Return to Menu Contact Us


Don’t worry if your country does not have an E-2 Treaty with the United States. There is still a way you can apply for the E-2 Treaty Visa. It just requires an extra step. You first need to obtain citizenship of an E-2 Treaty Country and then you can apply for the E-2 Visa. We have helped a number of clients obtain citizenship of a treaty country and then an E-2 Visa.

Common options include:
Grenadian Citizenship by Investment
Turkish Citizenship by Investment
Italian Naturalization
Israeli Naturalization

Return to Menu Contact Us


"I would definitely be a big advocate for the rest of my life for anyone wanting to explore the Grenada Citizenship by Investment Programme leading to the E2 Visa. The most important thing is a good team behind you. with Davies & Associates you’re in safe hands… you need someone who can give you all the support at the ground level and, again, you are well take care of by D&A” “The people are really warm, very helpful and quite open minded when it comes to business… Not to mention as a passport it’s great from a travel perspective…It’s just 4/5 hours from New York."

Click Here to Read E-2 Visa Case Studies
Read more client testimonials here.
Return to Menu Contact Us


If you are an investor from a qualifying treaty country then an E-2 visa may allow you to live in the United States for the purpose of owning and running a qualifying business or enterprise.

Advantages and Features of an E-2 Visa

  • An E-2 visa can be obtained very quickly.
  • There is no annual quota limitation for the E-2 visa.
  • An E-2 visa is unique in that involves one-step processing in a consulate. USCIS is not involved in the process unless you apply to change status from within the USA.
  • The spouse of an E-2 visa holder can obtain status enabling them to work in the USA.
  • The minor children of an E-2 visa holder can obtain lawful status to reside and study in the United States.
  • Investors can qualify either by starting a new business or purchasing an existing business.

Return to Menu Contact Us


No. Our clients frequently use the following forms of investment to qualify for the E-2 visa:

  • Stocks of Inventory
  • Patents and Trademarks
  • Licenses Granted from Foreign and other Businesses
  • Equipment, machineries and other tangible assets that are relevant to the operations of the E-2 company
  • Cash in an Escrow Account
Return to Menu Contact Us


There is no minimum investment required for an E-2, but it must be reasonable and “substantial” given the nature of the business. While consulates are generally looking for a minimum investment of USD 100,000, E-2 visas are approved with lower investment amounts.

Thus an investment of USD 200,000 to build a plant that makes 747 aircraft will not qualify as it is clearly insufficient for the purpose. On the other hand, an investment of less than USD 100,000 in a small coffee shop employing US workers may be sufficient.

Return to Menu Contact Us


  • E-2 visas can initially be granted for any period up to five years (depending on the reciprocity schedule), during which time the holder may travel freely in and out of the U.S.
  • E-2 visas are renewable indefinitely, meaning that they can be renewed as long as there is a need to manage and direct the underlying business
Return to Menu Contact Us


Click here to visit our Business Plan Webpage

A well drafted immigration business plan is usually critical in E-2 visa cases.

In our experience the preparation of a business plan that demonstrates how your business clearly meets the requirements of the E-2 visa program is critical. For that reason our Wharton MBA lawyers work with a specialist team of immigration business analysts to prepare business plans that meet the approval of the toughest immigration and consular officers.

Return to Menu Contact Us


Choosing the right immigration lawyer is key. In our opinion you will want to work with a lawyer who:

  • Narrowly specializes in E-2 and investor visa applications.
  • Handles multiple new E2 matters each month.
  • Has no or a very limited denial history.
  • Has strong academic credentials and an excellent training history.
  • Has never been the subject of a formal client complaint or official reprimand.
  • Is a member of a TEAM of two or more lawyers who will work on your case. Avoid solo practitioners as your case will suffer if that lawyer becomes unwell or unable to work on your file."
  • Will be available for you AFTER he or she has been hired.
  • Will NOT turn your case over to a paralegal.
  • Has recent experience in assisting E-2 visa applicants from your country.
  • Is a member of key professional immigration law organizations.
  • Can provide you with relevant references.
  • Provides you with 24/7 access to your entire file.

More details on selecting an immigration lawyer can be found by clicking here.

Return to Menu Contact Us


L-1 Visas E-1 Visas E-2 Visas EB-5 Visas
Visa available to nationals of any country? Nationals of treaty trader countries only Nationals of treaty trader countries only
Must I have worked for a related company abroad for one year?
Ability of dependent Spouse to work in US
Can the visa be renewed into perpetuity assuming I re-qualify?
Is a business plan a very key element of a successful application?
Minimum investment Required Sufficient to operate valid foreign business and US office or business entity No theoretical minimum there must be enough investment to create a real, viable, business Sufficient to fund business enterprise, generally around USD 100,000.00 although less is possible Either USD 900,000.00 or USD 1,800,000.00
Immigrant visa status
Can lead to green card through the EB5, EB1C and other programs

Transition to green card status through EB5, EB1(c) or other immigrant visa programs possible

Transition to green card status through EB5, EB1(c) or other immigrant visa programs possible

visa initially issued for a conditional two year period.

Note: Contrary to popular myth, moving from an E-2 or E-1 visa to a green card IS possible through BOTH the EB1(c) and EB-5 programs.

Return to Menu Contact Us


The spouse of the E-2 Visa holder can move to the United States with the primary applicant. The spouse can apply for work authorization to work for any US employer. This offers considerably more employment flexibility than the H-1B visa because it is not tied to any specific employer and can be renewed indefinitely (whereas H-1B is limited to a maximum of 6 years). Dependent children under the age of 21 can also accompany the parents to the United States.

Return to Menu Contact Us


Yes. Our firm assists E-2 clients with adjusting from their E visa status to that of “Green Card” holder, or Permanent Resident in the United States. While no US non-immigrant visa automatically leads to a Green Card some of the common options include:

E2 and EB5 Investor Visa Program

The same investment used to secure and E2 visa can also be used for the EB5 investor visa program.

Many clients combine the E2 and EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program. This strategy enables an E2 investor to move to the US immediately on their E2 visa but to have the option of leveraging their US business to obtain a “green card” over the longer-term.

Direct EB-5:

If your E-2 business becomes large enough and employs enough people, it may be eligible for a Direct EB-5 visa. The minimum investment amount is $900,000 and the required number of jobs is ten. You must carefully consider the location of your business because only investments in Targeted Employment Areas (TEAs) are eligible for the lower $900,000 investment amount. Outside of these areas, the requirement capital doubles to $1.8 million.

Regional Center EB-5:

Tying your E-2 business to the requirements of the EB-5 program can be commercially restrictive. For example, it can be a challenge to maintain headcount to meet the EB-5 rules. Failure to do so can put your Green Card at risk. As a result, many people who pursue a Green Card from E-2 through EB-5 prefer to invest with a Regional Center instead.

E2 and EB1(c) for the International Manager or Executive

A common misunderstanding is that the EB1(c) program for multinational managers and executives is only available to L-1 visa holders. This is false.

Transitioning from an E-2 visa to an EB-1c visa through a Green Card can be done. There must be a business in your home country with a qualifying relationship to your US E-2 Business. You must have worked at the overseas company for at least one of the three years immediately prior to moving to the United States on your E-2 Visa. You must also demonstrate an “intent to depart” when you apply for your E-2 Visa, which can conflict with plans to obtain a Green Card under EB-1c. It is vital you discuss your options with an immigration attorney at the beginning of the process.

Return to Menu Contact Us


The E-2 Visa can be used to start up your own business or acquire an existing business or franchise. It is vital to choose a business that is compliant with the E-2 Visa rules. Our team of corporate lawyers work closely with E-2 immigration team to advise clients on finding a business opportunity that meets the regulations. If you do not yet have a business in mind, contact our team who can explain the parameters and ensure your search is heading in the correct direction.

Watch our video on E-2 Visa franchises

Return to Menu Contact Us


Applying for an E2 Visa from Outside the United States

The E2 and E1 visas are unique in that the entire application process is handled by a US consulate. With most other visa types USCIS approval has to be secured before making a visa application at a US consulate. You can apply to become an E-2 Treaty Trader at a U.S. Consulate abroad.

Applying for E2 Status from Inside the United States

It is only possible to obtain a “visa” from a US consulate outside the United States.

By filing a petition with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), an applicant currently in legal non-immigrant status in the United States can change status to and E2 “status”.

Because a change of status from within the United States does not grant the applicant a new visa, during your next trip abroad you will need to apply for a visa from a U.S. Consulate in order to reenter the United States with E-2 status.

Return to Menu Contact Us


Davies & Associates is a specialized immigration law firm. A substantial part of our practice focuses on assisting business owners and investors with E-1, E-2, L-1 and EB-5 visas. Through our international presence we have specialist knowledge of the specific procedures in multiple embassies and consulates around-the-world. While there can never be any guarantees, in fifteen years we have yet to have any E-2 visa application we have prepared denied when our clients have followed our recommendations.

Please feel free to contact our E-visa team with any additional questions you may have.

Return to Menu Contact Us
Client Reviews
Mark is one of the best things happened to me in immigration. I was very skeptical as my last attempt to obtain an L1A was a negative one through another lawyer. Mark came in and… [made] sure that the case [was refiled] successfully. Rest assured, I can vouch for his services and will recommend him highly. Indian L1 Applicant previously denied using another law firm
I have been dealing with this firm for the last several years. They got my E2 visa approved followed by my E2 visa renewal as well. They are the best immigration lawyers I have ever met….. No one can give you better service than this firm. Australian E-2 visa applicant
Several lawyers told me I would not be able to get a TN visa. Two weeks after contacting Davies & Associates I was working in New York, visa in hand. I have recommended this firm to several friends and colleagues, they do an excellent job every time." Individual Seeking 'Impossible' TN Visa
Davies & Associates provided me with truly outstanding customer service 7 days a week. Technically brilliant, Davies & Associates not only successfully obtained E-2 visa status for myself and my Indian wife but also seamlessly coordinated my entire legal team, ensuring the timely completion of my acquisition." E2 Visa Applicant and Business Owner
I was qualified as a physician in a foreign country. Being on a J-1 visa I was facing having to leave the United States and return to my home country. Davies & Associates secured one of only 30 J-1 visa waivers available in my State, allowing me to work for a US hospital and remain in the United States." Doctor Seeking J-1 Visa Waiver
My exisiting immigration lawyer, who has a global reputation in immigration law, told me that "it couldn't be done". Someone suggested I speak to Davies & Associates and they obtained the immigration benefits I wanted. I will always use this firm in the future, they are miracle workers." Small Professional Business With International Offices
I am very satisfied with the services Mark Davies has provided me. He has a very extensive knowledge in immigration laws and has a thorough approach to any case." U Visa Applicant, A Victim of Crime
There is no question that Davies & Associates is clearly the leading E-2 visa law firm in the United States." E2 Visa Applicant and Business Owner
Extremely knowledgable, available, and reliable Mark was a god-send when dealing with USCIS. He is very experienced so he knows the ins and outs of the process, can predict response times and is very available to answer questions in a timely and friendly manner. Highly recommended to anyone trying to navigate a complicated immigration process at any stage." Syrian Marriage Based Immigrant Visa Applicant with Two Year J-1 Waiver
I highly recommend Davies & Associates LLC Mark Davies is a joy to work with. His extensive knowledge, speedy response and attentive service took away all my fears of dealing with immigration and visa applications. He is very generous with his time in explaining every step along the way and I have already and will in the future recommend him to anybody who is looking for an immigration lawyer." Small Business Owner and E-2 Visa Applicant