E2 Visa Study cases

U.S. State Department Issues Near Record Level Non-Immigrant Visas

On November 28, 2023, the U.S. State Department shared a press release highlighting the agency’s operations and the significant numbers of different types of visas issued in the last fiscal year. 

From October 2022 through September 2023, the State Department issued a near record level of non-immigrant visas – more than 10 million globally – 8 million visitor visas for business and tourism and more than 600,000 F-1 student visas (embassy and consulates in India issued an all-time record of more than 140,000 student visas).  590,000 visas were issued to high-skilled workers and executives to work in some critical fields, ranging from emerging technology to healthcare, and nearly 365,000 to airline and shipping crew members.

The State Department attributes these achievements to innovative solutions, such as expanding the interview provision that allows certain visa applicants to renew their visas without the need for an interview appointment at the consulate or embassy.    

The interview waiver flexibility is set to expire on December 31, 2023.   There is no announcement as yet from the administration regarding its continuity. 

Visa Operations Bring Record Achievements Worldwide – United States Department of State 

We at D&A are monitoring the situation and will provide updates as and when available. 

This article has been written by Zeenat Phophalia, Esq. Of Counsel, Davies & Associates, India Office.

Zeenat Phophalia is qualified to practice law in New York, United Kingdom and India. She practices in the area of U.S. immigration law with a focus on business immigration, and has represented corporate clients including large and medium sized companies and startups across sectors such as IT, consulting, consumer goods, manufacturing and telecommunications.

Looking for an US immigration lawyer? Request free consultation at Davies & Associates or find our closest location around the world.

US Immigration attorney

Non-Immigrant Visa USA: Your Gateway to the United States

Non-immigrant Visa

A non-immigrant visa is for individuals who want to visit, live or work in the United States temporarily. For example, if you’re visiting the U.S. for a vacation or a business conference, then you would need a non-immigrant visa.

On the other hand, an immigrant visa is for individuals who want to permanently move to the U.S. and obtain their green card.

Non-immigrant visa categories include the H-1B, L, J-1 and E-2 and F-1

Process for Temporary Work Visa

There are different federal government agencies involved in reviewing and approving visa applications or petitions for temporary worker visas such as the US Department of Labor, Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security. In some cases, the prospective employer would have to first obtain certification from the DOL and then file a petition with the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) at DHS and after obtaining their approval, the candidate will apply for visa stamping at the US consulate rIn some cases, the prospective employee can apply for a visa directly at the US consulate.

The specific visa category will determine the various steps in the application process.  

Types of Temporary Worker Visa

There are different temporary worker visa categories available which you can choose depending on the purpose of your visit and eligibility criteria. We’ve rounded them up below with brief descriptions so you can get acquainted.


The CW-1 is a visa exclusively for employers in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), where they can apply to employ foreign workers who don’t fit into other employment categories.


An E-1 Visa is a nonimmigrant classification that allows a national of a treaty country to carry substantial trade and principal trade between the U.S. and their home country. Treaty countries maintain a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S., or with which the U.S. maintains a qualifying international agreement, or which has been designated as qualified by law.


An E-2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa that is granted to a national of a treaty country to make a substantial investment in a U.S. enterprise or business. The definition of a treaty country, in this case, is the same as that of an E-1 Visa.


An E-2C Visa, on the other hand, allows long-term foreign investors to remain in the CNMI through December 31, 2029, while they resolve their immigration status. This visa helps while the CNMI transitions from the CNMI permit system to the U.S. immigration laws.


An E-3 Visa is a special work visa exclusively given to residents of Australia working in specialty occupations in the U.S. Moreover, their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 years may also qualify, even if they are not Australian themselves.


An H1-B Visa is reserved for those who will undertake a role with a U.S. employer in a specialty occupation or profession that requires certain minimum education.


An H-2A Visa is given to a temporary agricultural worker from certain countries. It’s typically used by foreign agricultural workers who have a job offer from a U.S. company and U.S. companies hiring foreign workers for temporary or seasonal agricultural work.


Meanwhile, an H-2B visa is for employers to hire a temporary non-agricultural worker. The employment, in this case, must be temporary as such it’s only for a limited period, seasonal need, or intermittent need.


An H-3 Visa allows foreign nations to enter the United States either as: 1) a Trainee, to receive training in any field of endeavour other than graduate medical education or training, and 2) a Special Education Exchange Visitor, to participate in a program that provides for practical training and experience in the education of children with special needs.


This visa is a type from different non-immigrant visa classifications granted to journalists visiting the United States for work or educational opportunities. It is exclusively for representatives of foreign media across different mediums such as press, film or print.


The L Visas is commonly referred to as intra-company transfer visa where an employee of a multinational company is temporarily transferred to a U.S. branch, affiliate, parent or subsidiary of the same company. Under the L1 Transfer Visa, the employee holding a managerial or executive capacity or a specialized knowledge position must also work in a similar capacity in the U.S. office.


The O Visa is for individuals with a unique or extraordinary ability in science, arts, education, business, or athletics who wish to temporarily work in their field of expertise in the U.S. Under this visa, the individual must prove that they offer essential services in their field of expertise that can’t be provided by a U.S. citizen.


A P-1A Visa is granted to internationally recognized athletes or athletic teams coming to the U.S. to perform at a specific athletic competition. It can be granted to professional or amateur athletes to perform in specific theatrical ice skating productions or tours, either individually or as a part of a group.


The P-1V Visa, on the other hand, is given to you if you are coming to the U.S. temporarily as part of an entertainment group that has been established for a minimum of a year and has been recognized internationally as outstanding for a sustained and substantial period.


The P-2 Visa is a type from the different nonimmigrant visa classifications that is granted if you are coming to the U.S. to perform as an entertainer or artist under a reciprocal exchange program between a U.S. organization and an organization in your home country, either individually or as part of a group.


The P-3 Visa is a visa classification that’s granted if you’re coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform, teach, or coach as artists or entertainers under a culturally unique program, either individually or as a group.


The Q-1 Visa is granted to individuals visiting the U.S. to take part in an international cultural exchange program where they will share their history, culture, and tradition. It is to provide practical training and employment.


The R-1 Visa is for foreign nationals coming to the U.S. to be employed temporarily as a minister or in another religious occupation for a minimum of 20 hours per week on average.


The TN visa is a visa classification that permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the U.S. to engage at a professional level in business activities.

You can click here to check a summary of these temporary worker visas.

Non-immigrant Work Visa Options

There are three different non-immigrant temporary work visa categories:

  • Temporary work visas such as the H-1B, E-2, L-1. Before applying for a majority of these visas, first, there must be an approved petition filed by the prospective employer with the (USCIS.
  • Work under an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).  This option allows certain eligible non immigrant visa holders including L-2, H-4 (spouses of principal L-1 and H-1B respectively) and individuals awaiting adjudication of their I-485 to apply for the EAD and lawfully work in the US after approval of such application.
  • Work in the U.S. with a NAFTA visa. In this category, only citizens of Canada and Mexico are eligible, granting them temporary entry into the U.S. for business at a professional level.

Application for a U.S. Nonimmigrant Visa

Individuals who wish to apply for a visa under the temporary worker categories at the US consulate will first need to fill out a Form DS-160 (Online Non-Immigrant Visa Application). Depending on the requirements of their chosen visa, they might need additional information and forms.

After completing your Form DS-160, you will receive a barcode which you will need to print and keep for your upcoming appointment at the U.S. embassy. You can schedule your visa interview once you already have your barcode.

Immigrant Visas vs Nonimmigrant Visas

A foreign national can enter the United States based on a  a valid and unexpired visa, either a nonimmigrant or an immigrant visa.

A nonimmigrant visa is only granted for a limited time, although in most cases, you can extend this visa as long as you meet all the requirements throughout your stay in the U.S.

On the other hand, immigrant visas allow you to live and work in the U.S. permanently and indefinitely. However, take note that immigrant visas don’t grant you the same rights as that of a U.S. citizen.

If you’re unsure of which visa category applies to your goals and circumstances, the experienced team of lawyers at Davies & Associates can help you navigate, strategize and  determine which visa best fits your needs

Looking for an US immigration lawyer? Request free consultation at Davies & Associates or find our closest location around the world.

Immigration Court Ruling

US Visa Ineligibility Findings and Waiver Option

Often times, foreign nationals are denied a visa or entry into the United States based on certain grounds. Such individuals who are found inadmissible and need a non-immigrant visa to enter the U.S. can apply for a waiver application at a U.S. consulate. The Immigration and Nationality Act (Section 212 (d)(3)) provides for a waiver (or pardon) for certain inadmissibility findings. The “212 (d) (3) waiver” can be used to overcome most grounds of ineligibility. One such very common ground is that of willful misrepresentation or fraud, the consequences of which are dire as it triggers a permanent or lifetime bar to entering the U.S However, all is not lost and this ground like many others can be challenged and overcome through a 212 (d) (3) waiver.

The INA 212 (d) (3) waiver, dubbed as the “Hranka Waiver,” although discretionary, can waive most grounds of inadmissibility, including willful misrepresentation or fraud, crimes involving moral turpitude, prostitution, smuggling, bars resulting from unlawful presence in the United States, health related grounds and a few others. There are certain grounds of inadmissibility that are excluded, such as espionage, participation in Nazi persecution and genocide. The waiver is available to NIV visa applicants, i.e., B-1, L-1, F-1, J-1, O-1, etc. visas and not to immigrant visa applicants.

The U.S. Department of State and consular officers are tasked with the discretionary authority of recommending these waivers for non-immigrant (NIV) visa ineligibilities to the Department of Homeland Security for approval.

Waiver Assessment Criteria

There are no prescribed criteria but the adjudicating officer will weigh the following factors in recommending a 212 (d)(3) waiver:

  1. Risk of harm to society if the foreign national is admitted;
  2. Seriousness of the foreign national’s immigration or criminal law violation;
  3. Foreign national’s purpose of travel to the United States;
  4. Whether there is a single, isolated incident or a pattern of misconduct; and
  5. Evidence of reformation or rehabilitation.

Application Procedure

The 212(d)(3) waiver application can be submitted to the U.S. consulate in the applicant’s home country (or country of residence) or in case of visa-exempt foreign nationals, at the U.S. port of entry (with Customs and Border Protection). Generally, one can submit the waiver application at the consulate at the same time that the person is applying for a non-immigrant visa; some consulates may require the waiver filing at a later time. If consular officers believe that the waiver should be granted, they are required to forward the case to the Customs and Border Protection’s Admissibility Review Office (ARO) with an affirmative recommendation. The consular officer is not obligated to accept the waiver application if he or she believes that the waiver has no merit and is required to reject it if the applicant is otherwise found ineligible for the underlying visa. However, consular officers are directed to refer the waiver request to the Department of State for review if the applicant requests, provided that the applicant’s case involves certain situation/s such as national security, foreign relations, significant public interest and/or urgent humanitarian or medical reason. The ARO’s decision is final pursuant to which the consular officer will adjudicate the underlying non-immigrant visa application.

The ARO/CBP generally grant a waiver in most visa cases for 5 years. The waiver processing can be lengthy at times ranging from few weeks to several months but is an inexpensive and relatively straightforward option to overcome certain ineligibility findings.

This article has been written by Zeenat Phophalia, Esq. Of Counsel, Davies & Associates, India Office.

Zeenat Phophalia is qualified to practice law in New York, United Kingdom and India. She practices in the area of U.S. immigration law with a focus on business immigration, and has represented corporate clients including large and medium sized companies and startups across sectors such as IT, consulting, consumer goods, manufacturing and telecommunications.

Looking for an US immigration lawyer? Request free consultation at Davies & Associates or find our closest location around the world.

US Visa Application

Can U.S. Citizenship be Revoked?

A naturalized United States citizen is someone who has voluntarily obtained U.S. citizenship based on certain grounds other than by birth in the U.S. The process by which they obtain U.S. citizenship is called naturalization. The U.S. citizenship of such individuals can be stripped away or revoked through what is known as the “denaturalization” process. U.S. citizenship of a person who is born on US soil cannot generally be revoked, but such a person can lose citizenship by engaging in certain explicit voluntary acts.

The U.S. government can rescind a naturalized person’s citizenship for a variety of reasons which are:

“Illegally” procuring citizenship

Procuring naturalization illegally simply means that the person was not eligible for naturalization, therefore any eligibility criterion that was not fulfilled can form the basis for revocation. This includes the requirements for residence, physical presence, lawful admission for permanent residence, good moral character, and attachment to the U.S. Constitution. This applies even if the person unintentionally made a mistake.

Non-Disclosure of Material Fact or Willful Misrepresentation

If a naturalized person misrepresented or hid a material fact deliberately which fact impacted his naturalization application, the citizenship in such cases may be revoked. This ground of revocation includes omissions as well as affirmative misrepresentations. Examples of such instances include failure to disclose an arrest or criminal conviction or lying about one’s marital status.

The misrepresentations can be oral testimony provided during the naturalization interview or can include details provided on the N-400. The materiality test is whether the misrepresentations or concealment had the ability to affect the grant of citizenship decision.

In 2017, the U.S. Supreme Court in the case, Maslenjak v. United States, 37 S. Ct. 1918 (2017), limited the grounds for revoking citizenship by holding that unless the underlying omission or false statement was significant to the acquisition of citizenship, citizenship cannot be revoked for a false statement that has no bearing on the decision.

Membership or Affiliation with Certain Organizations

A person is subject to revocation of naturalization if he or she becomes a member of, or affiliated with, the Communist party, other totalitarian party, or terrorist organization within five years of naturalization. There is an assumption that the person dd not have allegiance to the U.S. Constitution and was never well-disposed to the wellbeing of the United States.

Separation from the Military

Some people can obtain U.S. citizenship by serving honorably in the U.S. armed forces. The government can revoke citizenship obtained on this basis if the naturalized person separates from the armed forces under other than honorable discharge before serving five years of military service.

The Denaturalization Process

Unlike most other immigration matters that USCIS handles in an administrative setting, revocation of naturalization can only occur in federal court. A person’s naturalization can be revoked either by civil proceeding or pursuant to a criminal conviction. For civil revocation, the U.S. Attorney’s Office must file the revocation of naturalization actions in a Federal District Court. For criminal revocation of naturalization, the office files criminal charges in Federal District Court. The government holds a high burden of proof when attempting to revoke a person’s naturalization. For civil revocation, the burden of proof is clear, convincing, and unequivocal evidence and for criminal revocation, it’s proof beyond a reasonable doubt, as required in every other criminal case.

Source: USCIS Policy Manual I Grounds for Revocation of Naturalization

This article has been written by Zeenat Phophalia, Esq. Of Counsel, Davies & Associates, India Office.

Zeenat Phophalia is qualified to practice law in New York, United Kingdom and India. She practices in the area of U.S. immigration law with a focus on business immigration, and has represented corporate clients including large and medium sized companies and startups across sectors such as IT, consulting, consumer goods, manufacturing and telecommunications.

Looking for an US immigration lawyer? Request free consultation at Davies & Associates or find our closest location around the world.

E-2 Visa approved for a Singaporean national during COVID-19

Guidance on Compelling Circumstances EADs

In June 2023, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released an updated guidance on the employment authorization document (EAD) based on compelling circumstances for beneficiaries of an approved I-140 petition. The guidance clarifies the eligibility criteria for a compelling circumstances EAD.

A compelling circumstances EAD is a stopgap measure for non-immigrant visa holders, in the process of applying for their green cards, who have been lawfully residing in the US and are faced with unforeseen or sudden circumstances that would cause them to immediately depart the United States. The compelling circumstances EAD provision which came into effect in January 2017, provides a temporary benefit for eligible foreign nationals and their family members to continue to reside and work in the United States without interruption and accruing unlawful presence.

For an applicant to be eligible for an initial EAD based on compelling circumstances, they must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • The principal applicant must be the beneficiary of an approved Form I-140 in either EB-1, EB -2 or EB-3 category;
  • The principal applicant must be in a valid non-immigrant status (E-3, H-1B, H-1B1, O-1, or L-1) or authorized grace period
  • The principal applicant must not have filed a I-485 adjustment of status application;
  • The applicant and their dependents have not been convicted of a felony or two or more misdemeanors ; and
  • An immigrant visa is not available to the principal applicant based on the applicant’s priority date according to the relevant Final Action Date in the U.S. Department of State’s Visa Bulletin in effect when they file Form I-765; and

Examples of Compelling Circumstances

The regulations do not define “compelling circumstances”, but in general, are situations outside one’s control that adversely affect their ability to continue working for their employer. USCIS exercises discretion on a case-by-case basis in assessing. Below are non -exhaustive examples that could justify the existence of compelling circumstances.

Serious Illness and Disability

A principal applicant or their dependent faces a serious illness or disability that substantially changes employment circumstances, such as requiring them to move to a different geographic area for their or a dependent’s treatment, or the illness or disability otherwise reduces or adversely affects the principal applicant’s ability to continue their previously approved employment.

Employer Dispute or Retaliation

A principal applicant is involved in a dispute regarding their employer’s alleged illegal or other forms of abusive conduct, which may take the form of a whistleblower action, litigation, or other documented dispute.

Other Substantial Harm to the Applicant

The principal applicant is unable to timely extend or otherwise maintain status, or obtain another nonimmigrant status, and would suffer substantial harm as a result. This harm may be financial or may be due to an inability to return to their home country due to conditions there.

Financial hardship to the principal applicant may rise to the level of compelling circumstances when coupled with circumstances beyond those typically associated with job loss, for example, loss of health insurance.

Significant Disruption to the Employer

If the applicant is unable to continue working due to failure of filing a timely extension of change of status, and as a result, the employer will suffer significant disruption of business or that the loss of the employee will negatively impact project and cause significant monetary loss, such situation could establish compelling circumstances.

USCIS generally does not consider unemployment or job loss, in and of itself, to be a compelling circumstance unless the principal applicant can show additional circumstances that compound the hardship ordinarily associated with job loss.

Impact on Non-Immigrant Status

While a discretionary relief, the compelling circumstances EAD is an alternative that allows one to continue to stay and work in the United States in an authorized period of stay. Note that this is not a substitute for a “non-immigrant” status. An applicant would not accrue unlawful presence during the EAD’s validity or during the pendency of a timely filed non-frivolous EAD application. Spouses and children of the principal EAD applicant may also receive EADs provided that they individually meet the compelling circumstances and filing requirements.

Resource: Chapter 3 – Certain Employment-Based Immigrants in Compelling Circumstances | USCIS

This article has been written by Zeenat Phophalia, Esq. Of Counsel, Davies & Associates, India Office.

Zeenat Phophalia is qualified to practice law in New York, United Kingdom and India. She practices in the area of U.S. immigration law with a focus on business immigration, and has represented corporate clients including large and medium sized companies and startups across sectors such as IT, consulting, consumer goods, manufacturing and telecommunications.

Looking for an US immigration lawyer? Request free consultation at Davies & Associates or find our closest location around the world.

EB-5 Source of Funds for Italians Webinar

New Consular Fees for Non-Immigrant Visas

The US Department of State published a Final Rule on March 28 regarding an increase in fees for certain categories of non-immigrant visa applications. The fee increase will be effective May 30, 2023.

The consular fee for employment-based categories such as the H-1B, L-1, and O-1 will increase from $190 to $205, and for the E-1 trader and E-2 treaty investor visa categories, the fee will increase from $205 to $315.

Other consular fees are not affected by this rule, including the waiver of the two-year residency required fee for certain exchange visitors. Current fees will continue to apply until May 30.

Fee information can be found on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website, travel.state.gov, and on the websites of U.S. embassies and consulates

H-1B Cap Registration and Understanding Key RFE Issues

H-1B Cap Registration and Understanding Key RFE Issues

For the upcoming H-1B Cap FY 2024 lottery, the electronic registration period opened on March 1 at noon eastern and will close on March 17 the same time. Employers can submit registrations for each prospective H-1B applicant via a myUSCIS online account at a $10 fee for per registration. If selected in the lottery, USCIS will notify the employers and the H-1B cap petitions can be filed within the 90-day period beginning April 1.

In the recent past years, the H-1B RFE (Request For Evidence) rate dropped compared to the prior Trump administration years. That said, an RFE is quite an unwelcome, and often times, onerous step as it adds uncertainty to, and prolongs, the adjudication process. But more often than not, an RFE can be successfully overcome with proper documentation and compelling arguments. This article briefly addresses key RFE issues raised by the USCIS in H-1B cases and ways in which they can be preempted.

Specialty Occupation

US Reopens for Traveler from November

The most common RFE issue relates to whether the proffered US position qualifies as a ‘specialty occupation.’ The H-1B visa is reserved for foreign workers who render services in a specialty occupation; quite simply put – a position that requires at the very least, a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) within a specific specialty field as a minimum qualification for entry into that occupation.

USCIS looks for a nexus between the applicant’s degree and the specific job duties associated with the position. Due to the increasing narrow interpretation of ‘specialty occupation’ by USCIS, cases in which the position requires (or the applicant has) a more general degree are often result in RFEs or at times, denial. USCIS in the past has questioned the relevance of a bachelor’s degree in electronic engineering for an IT job, or an MBA degree could be viewed as too broad for a marketing and sales position. Some proffered positions are scrutinized more than others as USCIS relies on their main source – the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) (published by the Department of Labor) – to determine which job positions require a bachelor’s degree.

In other words, it’s not enough to prove that the position would normally require a bachelor’s degree but it should be demonstrated that the position requires a bachelor’s degree that is in a specific or a narrow list of disciplines. There are some ways that can help strengthen the specialty occupation argument. For example, a Third Party Expert Opinion Letter written by an industry expert or a university professor that explains in detail how and why the proffered position involves duties the performance of which would require at least a bachelor’s degree in that particular field, would help. Providing proof of past hiring practices by the employer that show a consistent trend of hiring individuals requiring at least a bachelor’s degree in a specific field for a particular position also helps. Additionally, setting out a very detailed breakdown of daily job duties and describing how the performance of each duty/task relates to the degree coursework may often times contribute to giving a clear understanding to the officer of how the specific degree is related to the performance of the tasks.

Employer – Employee Relationship

The employer-employee relationship has become important in the H-1B third-party worksite context. In such cases, where the employee is posted at the end-client site, USCIS requires evidence to show that the foreign worker will be managed and controlled by the H-1B sponsoring employer and that the third – party client shall have no authority and/or control over the employment terms of such worker (hire, termination, salary, insurance, etc.) This can be usually demonstrated in an employment agreement that clearly spells out the nature of the employer’s control – instructing employee with daily tasks, appraisals and feedback, weekly/monthly reporting, use of company tools, equipment, resources,, etc., and additional employee benefits, etc.

Also wherever possible, employers should submit agreements or MSAs (with SOWs end-client letters, etc) that expressly mention the petitioning employer’s obligations toward the employee and their right to control the employee.

Industry experts predict that the demand for H-1B will remain high this cap season as well. For registrations that are not selected, there may be possible alternatives such as L-1, E-2 and our team at D&A is happy to discuss these with you. We will provide more updates on the cap season as information becomes available

This article has been written by Zeenat Phophalia, Esq. Of Counsel, Davies & Associates, India Office.

Zeenat Phophalia is qualified to practice law in New York, United Kingdom and India. She practices in the area of U.S. immigration law with a focus on business immigration, and has represented corporate clients including large and medium sized companies and startups across sectors such as IT, consulting, consumer goods, manufacturing and telecommunications.

Looking for an US immigration lawyer? Request free consultation at Davies & Associates or find our closest location around the world.

5 Non-Immigrant Visas for the USA

There are many different type of non-immigrant visas for people wishing to work, study or do business in the USA. If you select the wrong visa, you may be denied entry at the United States border, or in the worst case, you might face a ban on entering the country. It is important to be aware of the different types of visa,

1. Business Visa: The B1 visa is a non-immigrant visa for the USA for people wishing to visit America to conduct business. It is for people who want to attend a conference or a business meeting in the United States. Importantly, this american business visa does not allow a person to set up a new business in the USA. You must apply at least 60 days before the date you want to travel. Avoid buying air tickets in advance if you have not received your visa yet.

2. Work Visa: There are various categories for this type of visas like H, L, O, P and Q. Which one you need depends on the type of your work for which you are going the USA. These types of visas are also temporary and holders of these visas cannot stay in the USA for a lifetime. Once your visa expires you will have to return to your country of origin. You can not get the visa until USCIS approves your petition.

3. Student Visa: People who want to study in any school or college in the USA have to apply for student visa. You may be asked to pass a certain language test for eligibility. By this test, they see how efficiently you can read, write, listen and speak that particular language. Most of them ask for an English language test. When you are on a student visa you can not take a break for more than 5 months or you may lose your visa.

4. Artists and Athletes Visa: Professional artists like actors, singers and stage performers can apply for this visa type. It includes actors shooting a movie, stage performance and attending an awards show. Athletes can also apply for the visa if there is a tournament or match to attend.

5. Media and Journalist Visa: Journalists can apply for an I visa which allows them to travel to the United States so that they can cover American news for their domestic audiences.