Visas for Nurses

Many countries face a chronic shortage of nurses. As a result, governments have tried to make it as favourable as possible for nurses to migrate for the purpose of employment. Immigration pathways differ between countries, and there is often more than one route available to nurses within a single country. It is important for nurses and hospitals to work with a reliable immigration lawyer to determine the best immigration solution to suit their individual requirements.

Through our partner networks, we are able to help hospitals connect with talented nurses from around the world. We are also able to help nurses identify job opportunities at overseas hospitals, clinics, nursing homes and other health institutions. Contact us for more information.

Nursing Visas for the United States

Several different US visa categories can apply to nurses and we recommend organizing your free consultation with our legal team to determine the best option. While the H-1C Visa specifically targeting nurses is no longer available, the H-1B visa and the EB-3 visa for skilled workers are possibilities. Other visa categories can also apply.

  • EB-3 Visa
    The H-1B Visa is available to nursing positions requiring a degree. The H-1B process runs on a cyclical basis, so it is important to align your employment goals with the US government’s timetable. The employer – for example a hospital – must file the H-1B petition on behalf of the employee on April 1 of a given year. If successful, the nurse may only start working from October of the same year. H-1B is a non-immigrant visa and does not confer permanent residency.
  • H-1B Visa
    Nurses can apply for US permanent residence or a Green Card through the EB-3 Visa - Employment-Based Immigration: Third Preference category. EB-3 Visas are available to skilled workers who can demonstrate at least two years’ job experience, education or training. It is also open to professionals who have a university degree and are required to have one by the field of work.

Nursing Visas for the United Kingdom

Non-EU nurses wishing to work in the United Kingdom must first register with the Overseas Nursing Programme and prove proficiency in English. There are two main routes for non-EU nurses seeking work in the UK.

  • Tier 2 Work Permit
    Tier 2 Work Permits are available for nurses intending to move to the UK to work in a role that cannot be filled by a British citizen. Nurses can apply under the “Skilled Worker” category of the Tier 2 Work Permit. Conditions apply so contact us to discuss your circumstances.
  • Tier 1 Skilled Migrant
    The Tier 1 Skilled Migrant route is available to nurses who can meet a set of skills and experience criteria. This includes English language proficiency, and proof that they have funds to settle.