Bringing Over Australian Nationals to Work in your Australian-Owned US Business: the E-2 Essential Employee Visa (General Guidelines)

Australian nationals are eligible for E-2 treaty investor visas. Certain Australian-controlled businesses in the US may petition to bring over Australian workers who have “essential skills” need by the US business.

Eligibility for an E-2 Essential Worker Visa to Work at an Aussie-Owned Business in the U.S.:

To be eligible for an E2 visa as an “essential” employee for a U.S. business, the following must be true:

  • You have a job offer from a U.S. company that matches with your skills and experience;
  • Though not a rule written in the law, the U.S. consulates typically examines the wage being offered and makes sure it is at least what the U.S. Department of Labor cites as the prevailing wage for that job in the city where you will be working;
  • You are Australian and the business is at least 50% owned and operated by Australians.
  • The owner of the US business is actually developing and directing the US company. For example, if an Aussie company owns the US business, your application must demonstrate that the Aussie company is actually running the US business. Or if the US business is owned by an Aussie individual, you must show they are actually running the US business (the clearest example would be if they are in the US on an E-2 visa). If the US business is majority owned and run by an Australian national who is a US permanent resident, they business is NOT qualified to bring over E-2 essential workers.

For a free assessment of whether you qualify for an E-2 essential worker visa, please e-mail us or call our office (1-312-803-0360).

How Do I Prove that I am an “Essential” Worker to the U.S. Business?

This is the issue that causes many E-2 Essential Worker visa applications to fail. It is not enough to simply show that you are qualified for the job being offered in the US business. You must show that you have specialized skills that are needed by the US company and which cannot readily be found in the US workforce. It is important that the application properly demonstrates that this worker has unique skills and/or specialized knowledge of the company’s operations that could not be quickly taught to a qualified US worker.

Are There Other Visas that Australian Workers May Qualify For?

Yes. Australian workers may qualify for many other visas, such as the E-3, L-1, or H-1B.

The E-3 work visa is a great option for employees with University degrees or substantial work experience related to the job in the US. You can read more about the E-3 visa here.

One benefit of the E-2 visa is that it does not have a University degree requirement or minimum amount of years of experience like the E-3 visa.

How do I Apply for an E-2 visa?

The application is either (1) sent to the E Visa Unit at a US Consulate in Australia or (2) in some circumstances you can apply to USCIS to change your status to E-2 from within the US (but visas can only be issued at US consulates).

For option 1, we prepare the visa application package (which is usually hundreds of pages in length) for our clients in the style/order that is preferred by the E Visa Unit. We then submit the application to the investor visa desk at the appropriate consulate in Australia. Then the US Consulate will do an initial review of the application within 10 business days and contact you with an interview date. Then you will have an interview with an officer from the investor visa unit. Those interviews generally include detailed questions about the visa applicant’s qualifications. Lawyers are not permitted to attend these interviews, but we prepare our clients for the interview. It can take the Consulate up to four weeks after your interview to make a decision about whether your visa will be granted, though typically the decisions are made much more quickly.

The location of your interview will depend on where your residence is in Australia:

Your Residence U.S. Consulate That Will Process Your E-2 Application
Australian Capital Territory U.S. Consulate in Sydney
New South Wales U.S. Consulate in Sydney
Norfolk Island U.S. Consulate in Sydney
Queensland U.S. Consulate in Sydney
Northern Territory U.S. Consulate in Melbourne
South Australia U.S. Consulate in Melbourne
Tasmania U.S. Consulate in Melbourne
Victoria U.S. Consulate in Melbourne
Western Australia U.S. Consulate in Perth

For option 2, we submit the application package to the appropriate USCIS office in the U.S. Of note, the processing time for USCIS to make a decision on your application is typically 2 to 3 months and the employee cannot start working until the application is approved. And this is simply a “change of status” and would require that you visit a U.S. Consulate abroad the next time you leave the US to have the E-2 interview and receive the actual E-2 visa in your passport. So, in many circumstances, it makes the most sense to simply apply to the US Consulate in the first instance.

How Long is the E-2 Visa Valid?

The length of the visa can be any amount of time up to 4 years, and you can apply for renewals indefinitely. The US consular officer or USCIS adjudicator has discretion to award the visa for a shorter amount of time and will do so if they think the employee is only needed in the US for a shorter period of time (i.e. enough time for them to train a US worker). This is one of the reasons that it is very important to communicate why this employee is unique and needed by the company.

Can My Spouse Accompany Me and Work in the USA?

Yes. Unlike with other visa types, the spouse of an E-2 visa holder may accompany the E-2 visa holder and apply for an Employment Authorization Document that allows them to work anywhere in the U.S. Your spouse is eligible for this benefit even if they are not an Australian national.

For a free assessment of whether you qualify for an E-2 visa, please e-mail us or call our office (1-312-803-0360).

Client Reviews
Mark is one of the best things happened to me in immigration. I was very skeptical as my last attempt to obtain an L1A was a negative one through another lawyer. Mark came in and… [made] sure that the case [was refiled] successfully. Rest assured, I can vouch for his services and will recommend him highly. Indian L1 Applicant previously denied using another law firm
I have been dealing with this firm for the last several years. They got my E2 visa approved followed by my E2 visa renewal as well. They are the best immigration lawyers I have ever met….. No one can give you better service than this firm. Australian E-2 visa applicant
Several lawyers told me I would not be able to get a TN visa. Two weeks after contacting Davies & Associates I was working in New York, visa in hand. I have recommended this firm to several friends and colleagues, they do an excellent job every time." Individual Seeking 'Impossible' TN Visa
Davies & Associates provided me with truly outstanding customer service 7 days a week. Technically brilliant, Davies & Associates not only successfully obtained E-2 visa status for myself and my Indian wife but also seamlessly coordinated my entire legal team, ensuring the timely completion of my acquisition." E2 Visa Applicant and Business Owner
I was qualified as a physician in a foreign country. Being on a J-1 visa I was facing having to leave the United States and return to my home country. Davies & Associates secured one of only 30 J-1 visa waivers available in my State, allowing me to work for a US hospital and remain in the United States." Doctor Seeking J-1 Visa Waiver
My exisiting immigration lawyer, who has a global reputation in immigration law, told me that "it couldn't be done". Someone suggested I speak to Davies & Associates and they obtained the immigration benefits I wanted. I will always use this firm in the future, they are miracle workers." Small Professional Business With International Offices
I am very satisfied with the services Mark Davies has provided me. He has a very extensive knowledge in immigration laws and has a thorough approach to any case." U Visa Applicant, A Victim of Crime
There is no question that Davies & Associates is clearly the leading E-2 visa law firm in the United States." E2 Visa Applicant and Business Owner
Extremely knowledgable, available, and reliable Mark was a god-send when dealing with USCIS. He is very experienced so he knows the ins and outs of the process, can predict response times and is very available to answer questions in a timely and friendly manner. Highly recommended to anyone trying to navigate a complicated immigration process at any stage." Syrian Marriage Based Immigrant Visa Applicant with Two Year J-1 Waiver
I highly recommend Davies & Associates LLC Mark Davies is a joy to work with. His extensive knowledge, speedy response and attentive service took away all my fears of dealing with immigration and visa applications. He is very generous with his time in explaining every step along the way and I have already and will in the future recommend him to anybody who is looking for an immigration lawyer." Small Business Owner and E-2 Visa Applicant