Licensure for Doctors

Our Mission is to simplify the licensure process for foreign medical professionals.

The complexity of United States licensure procedures, coupled with the need to provide a tailored, occupation-specific assistance creates unique barriers for health care professionals abroad.

Davies & Associates eases the time-consuming, expensive and complex licensure process, making it attainable for qualified foreign medical professionals.

Learn more about our licensure by endorsement practice and contact us for a free consultation today.


Davies & Associates is the only global immigration law firm that provides experienced licensure solutions for foreign medical professionals seeking to practice in the United States of America. Our professional licensure practice concentrates solely on licensure by endorsement – a highly specialized process that permits qualified foreign medical professionals to petition a State with the purpose of recognizing his/her qualifications.

Through our initial free consultation we determine the eligibility of qualified candidates and work with our clients on a case-by-case basis – our objective is to have your credentials and experience recognized by the respective State in which you seek to practice. A sampling of our services include:

  • Clarifying state specific rules, regulations & procedures that determine licensure for the client's occupational practice;
  • Providing sample recommendation letters applicable to the client's field, which can be used as a reference for the initial draft of the letters of recommendation;
  • Issuing a comprehensive checklist & schedule indicating time-sensitive requirements needed for client's petition;
  • Review key supporting elements of the petition to improve persuasive value & tailor evidence for client's specific situation;
  • Work with client to collect & prepare all information needed for licensure petition according to the state’s decisions and guidelines;
  • Organize all the required documentation for client's petition;
  • Draft a petition letter that explains how the evidence proves that client should be granted a license to practice;
  • Submit the completed petition materials to the proper regulatory board; and
  • Communicate with the appropriate regulatory bodies to check on the status of client's pending case, and respond to any requests for additional information pertaining to the petitioners case.

Learn more about licensure by endorsement and find out whether or not you may qualify.

Traditional Licensure Process

Traditional Licensure In The United States
The traditional certification and licensure procedures for foreign-medical professionals (FMPs) in the United States are somewhat centralized. In most cases, you must pass a national board examination or a national certification program and meet other uniform requirements such as academic and professional training. Although procedures are usually the same, specific requirements do vary from state to state. For example, states may require different amounts of clinical or internship hours, different passing scores for exams, etc.

  • Physician. As a foreign-graduate, you will be asked to obtain the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certification. Once you complete that process, you will have to fulfill a minimum clinical training requirement in an accredited residency program, which lasts for a minimum of 2 or 3 years depending on the state. Finally, you will have to pass one or more national board examinations. Eligibility and conditions can vary from state to state.

    • Learn more about Davies & Associations Licensure Solutions for Physicians – get a free consultation today.
  • Pharmacist. Depending on your foreign pharmacy education and state requirements, you will likely need to use your previous education to gain entry – perhaps with advanced standing - to an accredited 5-year pharmacy program in the U.S. and/or complete the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC) Certification program. Additionally you might have to fulfill minimum hours of clinical training, and pass other board examinations.

    • Learn more about Davies & Associations Licensure Solutions for Pharmacists – get a free consultation today.
  • Nurse. For Registered Nurses, license eligibility, some states require you to complete the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) Certification program. For any of the RN or LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) licenses you will have to pass the national board examination NCLEX. In some cases, you might be required to have your foreign credentials verified by a specific agency.

    • Learn more about Davies & Associations Licensure Solutions for Nurses – get a free consultation today.
  • Dentist. In order to obtain a license in the U.S. you need to graduate from a U.S. accredited academic program. There are several dental schools that offer advanced standing programs for foreign-trained dentists. In order to enter these programs, you might need to pass the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) Part I. After graduation, you will have to pass advanced levels of the NBDE. Finally, you will have to fulfill minimum hours of clinical training before becoming eligible for license.

    • Learn more about Davies & Associations Licensure Solutions for Dentists – get a free consultation today.
  • Physical Therapist. Along with academic requirements, you will be asked to take either the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) or a separate State exam, or in some cases both. For more information, review the directory of state regulations on licensing prepared by the American Physical Therapy Association.

    • Learn more about Davies & Associations Licensure Solutions for Physical Therapists – get a free consultation today.
  • Occupational Therapist. After satisfying academic requirements, you will have to pass the national examination of the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). Additional requirements, such as minimum hours of clinical training, may apply in some States.

    • Learn more about Davies & Associations Licensure Solutions for Occupational Therapists – get a free consultation today.
  • Physician Assistant. You must be a graduate of a U.S. accredited physician assistant (PA) program, and then take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE). Even if you have earned a medical degree from another country, you may still be required to graduate from a U.S. accredited PA program to be eligible for the examination. In some states, you will also need to get the NCCPA Certification.

    • Learn more about Davies & Associations Licensure Solutions for Physician Assistants – get a free consultation today.
  • Clinical Laboratory Scientist and Medical Technologist. The regulations for laboratory personnel profession vary more than for most other health care professions. Some states do not require a license to practice, but in those cases employers will require a professional certification from a private association as a condition of employment. The following associations grant certifications: American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) and American Medical Technologists (AMT).

    • Learn more about Davies & Associations Licensure Solutions for Physicians – get a free consultation today.
Client Reviews
Mark is one of the best things happened to me in immigration. I was very skeptical as my last attempt to obtain an L1A was a negative one through another lawyer. Mark came in and… [made] sure that the case [was refiled] successfully. Rest assured, I can vouch for his services and will recommend him highly. Indian L1 Applicant previously denied using another law firm
I have been dealing with this firm for the last several years. They got my E2 visa approved followed by my E2 visa renewal as well. They are the best immigration lawyers I have ever met….. No one can give you better service than this firm. Australian E-2 visa applicant
Several lawyers told me I would not be able to get a TN visa. Two weeks after contacting Davies & Associates I was working in New York, visa in hand. I have recommended this firm to several friends and colleagues, they do an excellent job every time." Individual Seeking 'Impossible' TN Visa
Davies & Associates provided me with truly outstanding customer service 7 days a week. Technically brilliant, Davies & Associates not only successfully obtained E-2 visa status for myself and my Indian wife but also seamlessly coordinated my entire legal team, ensuring the timely completion of my acquisition." E2 Visa Applicant and Business Owner
I was qualified as a physician in a foreign country. Being on a J-1 visa I was facing having to leave the United States and return to my home country. Davies & Associates secured one of only 30 J-1 visa waivers available in my State, allowing me to work for a US hospital and remain in the United States." Doctor Seeking J-1 Visa Waiver
My exisiting immigration lawyer, who has a global reputation in immigration law, told me that "it couldn't be done". Someone suggested I speak to Davies & Associates and they obtained the immigration benefits I wanted. I will always use this firm in the future, they are miracle workers." Small Professional Business With International Offices
I am very satisfied with the services Mark Davies has provided me. He has a very extensive knowledge in immigration laws and has a thorough approach to any case." U Visa Applicant, A Victim of Crime
There is no question that Davies & Associates is clearly the leading E-2 visa law firm in the United States." E2 Visa Applicant and Business Owner
Extremely knowledgable, available, and reliable Mark was a god-send when dealing with USCIS. He is very experienced so he knows the ins and outs of the process, can predict response times and is very available to answer questions in a timely and friendly manner. Highly recommended to anyone trying to navigate a complicated immigration process at any stage." Syrian Marriage Based Immigrant Visa Applicant with Two Year J-1 Waiver
I highly recommend Davies & Associates LLC Mark Davies is a joy to work with. His extensive knowledge, speedy response and attentive service took away all my fears of dealing with immigration and visa applications. He is very generous with his time in explaining every step along the way and I have already and will in the future recommend him to anybody who is looking for an immigration lawyer." Small Business Owner and E-2 Visa Applicant