To obtain an L1 visa to work in the United States, your employer outside the US must first have a qualifying relationship with a U.S.-based employer based on ownership and control. The qualifying relationship can be parent-subsidiary, affiliate or branch relationship. You must also prove qualifying employment, which means that you have to an executive, manager, or specialized knowledge employee of a multinational company for at least one full year in the past three years. Your employer must also file a petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Here are the general steps to apply for an L1 visa from India:
1. Check your eligibility: Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria for the L1 visa category. You must have worked for a qualifying multinational company for at least one continuous year within the past three years.
2. Obtain a job offer: You must have a job offer from a U.S.-based employer with a qualifying relationship with your current employer.
3. File a petition: Your employer must file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, with USCIS on your behalf. This includes providing evidence of the qualifying relationship between the two companies, as well as your qualifications and job duties.
4. Attend an interview: Once the petition is approved, you will need to attend an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in India. You will need to bring all relevant documentation, such as your passport, visa application, and supporting evidence.
5. Wait for a decision: After the interview, you will need to wait for a decision on your L1 visa application. If approved, you will receive your visa and be able to travel to the United States.
It’s important to note that the L1 visa application process can be complex and may require the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney.