Applying for an E-2 Treaty Investor Visa in Perth, Australia (residents of Western Australia)

Australian passport holders may be eligible for “E-2” U.S. work visas if they have invested in a U.S. business and intend to enter the U.S. to manage the business or if they are an “essential” worker for a U.S.-based, Australian-owned business.

If your residence is in Western Australia, your E2 visa application will be processed by the U.S. Consulate in Perth. Your application must be physically mailed to the E-2 visa desk of the Consulate. Our legal services include the preparation and submission of your E-2 application on your behalf in compliance with the specific regulations set by the Consulate.

You can visit the Consulate’s website at the following address:

E-2 Visas for U.S. Business Owners:

In certain circumstances, E-2 visas allow Australian nationals to enter the United States to run U.S. businesses that are owned by Australian nationals. The E-2 is in the investor category of visas and thus requires a substantial investment in the U.S. business and the U.S. government wants to see that the investment will benefit the U.S., including through employing U.S. workers. In general, the main elements that must be met in order to qualify for the visa are: (1) you hold an Australian passport (or hold a passport from one of the other countries eligible for E-2 visas), (2) the U.S. business is at least 50% owned and controlled by Australian nationals (or an Aussie company owns and controls at least 50% of the U.S. company), (3) you have already invested—or are in the process of investing—a substantial amount of money/assets in the U.S. business, (4) the business is a revenue-generating, for-profit enterprise, (5) the business will bring in more revenue than just what is needed to support you and your family (i.e. you will employ U.S. workers), (5) you will be an active Manager/Executive for the U.S. business, and (6) as this is a temporary work visa, you have an intent to leave the U.S. after your visa expires.

For detailed information about the requirements for an E-2 investor/manager visa, please click here: Starting a Business in the United States: E-2 Investor Visas For Australians (General Guidelines)

E-2 Visas for Specialty Workers for Your U.S. Business:

U.S. businesses seeking to employ specialty Australian workers may be able to obtain E-2 visas for those workers if the following basic elements are met: (1) the U.S. business makes a job offer to that Australian worker that matches their education and experience, (2) the wage being offered is fair for that type of job in that part of the U.S. (see the link below for more information), (3) the U.S. business is at least 50% owned by Australians and Australians are actively developing and directing the U.S. company, and (4) a U.S. worker cannot easily and immediately fill the position you are offering the Aussie national.

For detailed information about the requirements for an E-2 specialized worker visa, please click here: Bringing Over Australian Nationals to Work in your Australian-Owned US Business: the E-2 Essential Employee Visa (General Guidelines)

For a free assessment of whether you qualify for an E-2 visa, please e-mail us or call our office (1-312-803-0360).