E-3 Visas for Australian Nationals

Each year 10,500 non-immigrant E-3 temporary work visas are available to nationals of Australia who work in speciality occupations, as well as their spouses and children.

Applying for an E-3 working visa is a relatively straight forward process in most cases.


To be eligible for an E3 visa, you must:

  • Be an Australian Citizen;
  • Have a University Degree (or 12 years of experience); AND
  • Be applying for a job the requires the University Degree (or 12 years of experience)

How do I Apply for an E-3 visa?

  • The first step is to receive a job offer from a US employer.
  • Your employer will obtain an "LCA" from the US Department of Labor.
  • You may apply for your E-3 visa at a US consulate.
  • You must take a copy of the LCA approval to your visa interview.

More detail is available by e-mailing or calling our office or by clicking on the links on this page to USCIS or the US Embassy in Canberra, Australia.

Can My Spouse Accompany Me and Work in the USA?

Yes. Unlike with other visa types, the spouse of an E-3 visa holder may accompany the E-3 visa holder and work in the USA.

Does my Spouse Have to be an Australian?

No. Your spouse does not have to be an Australian.

Each E-3 visa is USUALLY valid for a period of 2-5 years. Unlike with other visas, an E-3 visa may be renewed indefinately.

What do I Need to Know as an Employer?

As petitioning employer, you will need to request a Labor Condition Application ("LCA") from the Department of Labor. The process is similar to that for the H1-B visa. As a part of the LCA application process employers make assertions regarding, amongst other things: paying the prevailing and actual wages; not breaking up strikes; and maintaining public access files. A free information sheet on these procedures is available upon request from our New York office. New York

US Consulates in Australia.

E3 visas for Australian residents are processed in a US consulate. The US embassy in Canberra does NOT process visa applications. US consulates in Australia are located at:

Covers: Capital Territory and New South Wales.
Address: Level 10, MLC Centre, 19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: 1300 139 399

Covers: Queensland, Tasmania and Northern Territory.
Address:Level 6, 553 St. Kilda Road, Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: 1300 139 399

Covers: Western Australia.
Address: 4th Floor, 16 St. George’s Terrace, Perth, WA 6000
Phone:  (08) 6144-5100

Links to More Information on E-3 Visas

Link to USCIS Information on E-3 visas for Australians
Link to E-3 Visa Information from the US Embassy in Canberra